Monday, September 19, 2011

Making Chicken Better

A couple of months ago my husband kindly and quietly informed me one night that he doesn't like chicken.  At first, I thought he was joking.  Honestly, chicken has essentially no real taste - how can you not like it??  It is simply a vehicle for other flavours.

Lately I have been trying to cook with less chicken because of this.  However, chicken needs to be on the menu at least once a week in order to create decent variety.  So one of my food goals is to try as many different chicken recipes as I can in order to find some that my husband will enjoy.

Tonight I made Skinny Chicken Enchiladas from this website and it turned out really well.  Preparation took me about 30 minutes and then I popped them into the oven for another 20 so it wasn't too bad for time.  I was able to wash all the dishes while waiting for them to bake.  Here's the recipe (sorry, we were so hungry I never got a chance to take any photos).  I used only 5 wraps and that used up all the chicken so I would double the recipe if you have a large family.  Basically just use one breast per person.

Enchilada Sauce:

2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
dash of chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper

Chicken Mixture:

2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cilantro/coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp adobo sauce, from the chipotles
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
whole wheat flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, spray some cooking spray and saute garlic for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Add the chiles, chili flakes, cumin, broth, tomato sauce, pepper.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius

Heat a medium skillet and spray with cooking spray.  Saute onions and garlic for 3-5 minutes on low heat.  Add all other ingredients except tortillas and cheese.  Cook 4-5 minutes.

Spray a large, rectangular glass baking dish.  Put 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.  Place in the dish with seam side down.  Pour enchilada sauce all over the top, sprinkle the cheese, and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.  Serve with a spoonful of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment