Friday, November 18, 2011

Beef and Black Bean Enchiladas

MMmmm...I just can't seem to get enough Mexican food these days!


With all the projects coming in to grade and exams starting next week, I was definitely in the mood for some comfort food.  And this was comforting!

I used the same sauce as from my Chicken Enchiladas Recipe (inspired by blogger skinnytaste) but really wanted a more hearty filling.  

In Singapore ground beef can sometimes be found in a "lean" version but there is really no proof that it is lean at all.  I can't remember what cooking show I was watching at the time but I saw someone mince their own beef.  I thought "perfect! I can pick any cut I want and just mince it up!"  So I grabbed some eye of round from the grocery store, cut it into large cubes and chucked it into my food processor.



This was too easy.  And the mince was super fine and tender - it was great!

Hope you try the recipe!

Beef and Black Bean Enchiladas

Sauce:
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
dash of chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper

Filling:
300 grams minced lean beef
1 cup black beans
1 medium diced onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp montreal steak spice
Dash of Chili Flakes
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce or salsa

6-8 whole wheat tortillas
Cheese for topping, around 3/4 cup

Directions:
Saute 2 garlic cloves in a small sauce pan.  Add all the other "sauce" ingredients, stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.  Set aside.
Spray skillet with cooking spray and add onion and garlic.  Saute until softened, around 5 minutes.  Add beef and saute until cooked.  Add beans, spices, broth and tomato sauce.  Stir well so all spices combine.  Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

Pour 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce onto the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Place 1/2 cup of beef mixture into each tortilla.  Roll up tortillas and place, seam side down, into the baking dish.

Top with grated cheese and bake at 200C or 375F for 15-20 minutes - until cheese is all nice and melty - serve with a generous dollop of sour cream.




1 comment:

  1. I'm still wondering why Justin travels so much. He must miss your food when he's gone. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete