Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Workout Wednesday!

Welcome to another new blogging gimmick!

Reflecting on my past blogging I have noticed a few things.  First, that my blogging decreased significantly in October (I do have excuses! Let me know if you want to hear them!) and second, that my blog is pretty much all about food.

Since this blog is called recipes AND running I realized that I needed to make more of an effort to incorporate my fitness regime (or whatever you wanna call it - I might call it panting like a dying cat) into this blog.  Ta Da! I bring you Workout Wednesdays, where I talk about some sort of interesting (hopefully!) workout I've had over the week.

So what was so interesting about this past week?

Well for those of you who haven't heard me brag with excitement, I have recently become a GYM MEMBER!

I haven't had a gym membership since I was in university!  Upon graduating I moved to Toronto where our condo building had its own gym (which I only used sporadically) and when we moved to Singapore we have always made sure that our condo has gym facilities.  This has worked very well over the past 3 years.  I was (and still am) truly convinced that I did not need a gym membership in order to be healthy.  I have always had a lot of knowledge of health and fitness and I even managed to lose quite a bit of weight over the last few years without forking over a small fortune on a downtown gym membership.  I even trained for a half marathon without having to pay ANYTHING.

The problem I have is there are a lot of gadgets and gizmos and false advertisements about weight loss and fitness.  I know.  I have a lot of these gadgets and gizmos.  And I don't always use them.  People often get sucked into the belief that there is some sort of "fast-track" to a healthy lifestyle through a particular diet, machine, book, programme, etc.  News Flash.  There is NO fast track.



Except for maybe that machine the celebrities use which freezes their fat cells and then they somehow magically disappear...

Until THAT becomes realistic for the every day girl, we have to do our best with what we have.

For many years, I chose to exercise while paying as little money as possible.  And it worked, because I stuck with it and ate right and had a great support team (Hi Amanda and Dan!).

But it just seemed like the right time to move on to something new.  So I sucked it up, bit the bullet, closed my eyes and paid for that super-expensive, fancy gym membership.

And you know what?  After the initial sting of my Visa sliding through the cash register, I felt fine.  I actually felt pretty darn good.  Perhaps I even felt a twinge of excitement!  Finally, instead of forcing myself onto a treadmill every day I could enjoy the best thing you can give yourself in fitness - variety.  Not only does the gym have a ton of different cardio and resistance machines but it also has a fantastic schedule of classes.  There's yoga classes, core classes, combat, resistance, abs, you name it.  So far I'm having a blast, particularly as I look at myself in the mirror during Body Combat flailing around like a very angry octopus.

This would totally be me if I ever went on this show - I am so uncoordinated!

Phew!  That seemed like more of a life story than a fitness story but that's where I am in my fitness today.  Always eager to try something new and exciting (and, as my husband would say, expensive).

How do you all feel about gym memberships?  A great opportunity or over-rated?

No comments:

Post a Comment