Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Long Weekend

Chinese New Year in Koh Samui was great.


But I think I equally enjoyed the last four days I've had around the house.  Although I slept through TWO hot yoga sessions I did manage to get some good exercise in and make some food.

Thursday I tried Zumba for the first time.  For those of you who don't know, Zumba is an aerobic dance class with mostly latin-inspired music.  For me, it's a chance to flail my arms around like a lunatic and burn a few calories.  I didn't like it as much as Body Jam, but it was still fun.

Both Saturday and Sunday Justin and I got some good long walks in.  Saturday we left from the condo and walked along the Park Connector until we got into the city and then picked up groceries.  I wasn't wearing my Garmin watch but we estimate that we cleared around 8k's.  Sunday we headed to MacRitchie Reservoir and power-walked our way through about 9 or 10 k's.  I was wearing the Garmin that time but I didn't charge it and it died around the 7k mark.  I'm really not very reliable.

In terms of recipes...well I made a good attempt, at least.  And I even tried to cross a few things off my bucket list but since I wrote "something good with lentils" I can't cross it off, because I was not happy with the outcome.  They were watery and bland.  Fortunately Jenna at EatLiveRun  has a fantastic looking stew involving red lentils so I'll try that for round two.  I love this girl's website - if you need a new recipe - check her out!!

I also attempted to cook some VERY expensive lamb shanks from the Swiss Butchery.  I don't know what happened but the meat was not satisfactory.  There was tons of fat running through it which made it hard to both cut and eat.  I think I needed to keep it in the oven for longer but who knows.  I will consult some friends down under to see if they can help me next time!

I did manage to make a great pizza on Friday night.  The crust came out very crispy considering I don't have a pizza stone.  I also baked some super easy chocolate chip muffins.  You can find the recipe here and they turned out very good.  Luckily I made a half-batch because there is only one left!!


'Twas a great week off of work - here's hoping for good things to come in February!!  With Houseguests, Waitangi Day, Valentine's Day, and other great reasons for good food I'm sure I'll have lots to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment