Monday, October 17, 2011

Thanksgiving round 2!

I get hungry when I'm alone.


I got jealous when Justin said he was getting a FREE BUSINESS CLASS trip HOME!  What made me even more jealous was that he was going to get THANKSGIVING TURKEY as well!

My oven in Singapore definitely isn't big enough for a turkey and I'm pretty sure if I left the oven on for that long my house would resemble Dante's inferno.

So I compromised with myself - my desires with reality - and made some delicious Butternut Squash Pasta.


I found this great website filled with Fall Recipes that turned out great.  Although it seems like every food blog out there is consumed with pumpkin and squash recipes - I made three recipes from this blog and all three turned out to be fantastic!  Between ravenous bites of this pasta I also managed to scarf down a few slices of pumpkin bread and a few carrot cupcakes too - the cream cheese icing recipe was amazing!  They tasted just like they'd come out of a bakery.


Just looking at this picture makes me want to grab the leftover icing in my fridge and eat it with a spoon!

I took these cupcakes with me when I met friends at Bungy Bar for the rugby game.  I got more than one incredibly strange looks, a few laughs, but also a lot of compliments.  Maybe they weren't the best choice for a hot equatorial afternoon but I will keep bringing baked goods to pubs as long as they let me!

Please try the pasta - it is a thanksgiving meal in 45 minutes!

Roasted Butternut and Bacon Pasta (serves 2 very hungry people - or 1 for a weekend)

1/2 Butternut Squash, peeled and seeded, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 small red onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
2 servings of your favourite short-cut pasta
200g back bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped sage
grated Parmesan for topping

Once you have peeled and cut the squash, spread it onto a foil covered baking sheet.  Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over the squash and lightly toss to coat.  Spread chopped onions over the squash and season with S&P.  Bake at 200C for 45 minutes, until soft and lightly browned on the edges.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water until al dente.  Set aside.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy water from the pasta.

Saute the bacon in a frying pan or skillet for 4-5 minutes.  Add the sage and butter and saute for 30 seconds. 

Add the frying pan contents to your pasta.  Remove squash from oven and add to pasta as well.  Lightly toss, adding the cooking water as needed, until you've reached a desired consistency (not watery, not dry).

Serve immediately and top with freshly grated parmesan!  Happy Thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment