Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thanksgiving in Style

Last Monday was Canadian Thanksgiving.  While the rest of my friends and family were enjoying Turkey dinner complete with stuffing, pie and mashed potatoes (drool), Justin and I celebrated the holiday by booking a table at the St. Regis restaurant, Brasserie des Saveurs.



This isn't a normal occurrence for us.  Usually we like to keep to relatively casual restaurants where Justin can sit comfortably in shorts and no one needs to dress up but this week was Singapore Restaurant Week!  Similar to Toronto's Summerlicious, Singapore Restaurant Week allows customers to try a set meal at normally expensive restaurants for a fraction of the price.  By the time I got onto the booking site, most of the top restaurants had been chosen but I was able to get a booking for the Brasserie.


So what did we eat, do you ask? 


Justin and I both chose the French Onion Soup as our starter.  I mean, when in a French restaurant we'd might as well, right?

The soup was served as a small mold of caramelized onions at the bottom of the bowl.  The server then came over and poured the broth over top and topped with this lovely toasted sourdough finger smothered in cheese.

Our mains:


Justin was VERY impressed with the pork belly and mashed potatoes.  I tried a bite and declared that I "love fat now".  It literally melted in my mouth in a way that only slow cooked pork can - delish!


I decided on the Artichoke and Parmesan Risotto - yes in the picture it looks like rice pudding - but I guess that's what a lot of Risotto looks like doesn't it?  To be honest, it wasn't something to write home about (even though I guess that's what I'm doing right now...)

Dessert on the other hand was my favourite.  How can you go wrong with fresh raspberry sorbet and chocolate-passionfruit cake?


This dessert had such a great combination of textures and flavours - it was wonderfully satisfying.

Overall, it was a great experience and we're looking forward to trying a different venue for the next Restaurant Week - maybe The Cliff at Sentosa??  

No comments:

Post a Comment