Monday, March 18, 2013

Easiest Birthday Cake

Hello again!

Thank you all so much for all the lovely comments about our new condo.  We are really enjoying it and feel very settled already.

In other news, today is Justin's birthday!!  I won't tell you how old he is but you can always check out his profile page to find out - hehe.

Unfortunately, Justin had to leave last night for a business trip to Las Vegas.  Wait, is that unfortunate?  Sounds like a sweet deal to me!  Anyways, because I won't see him today we decided to celebrate his birthday last Friday instead.

Thanks to a new oven, flour and climate, I completely ruined my home made pizza dinner.  I was so disappointed with myself but what can you do?  Luckily, I was able to make an amazing birthday cake - everyone's favourite - Ice Cream Cake!


I can't believe how easy this was.  I bought myself a chocolate pie crust, 2 pints of ice cream, some hot fudge sauce, and one of those small gel frosting tubes so I could write Happy Birthday on top.

First, I allowed the ice cream to soften a bit so that I could smooth the first flavour, cookies and cream, into the bottom of the pie shell.  For the record, I was considering making a homemade Oreo pie crust, but the thought of having a leftover bag of Oreos in the house sounded too dangerous!


After sticking the 1st layer in the freezer for a few minutes to harden, I then added dollops of the hot fudge sauce for a chocolatey centre.  I wasn't able to smooth it out into a perfectly even layer, but you couldn't really tell when eating it!


I used Vanilla for the top layer so that the top would be smooth and light-coloured so that I could write Happy Birthday on top.  My "cake writing" is horrible, so I don't have a picture of it.  Once it was finished, I let it firm up in the freezer for about 4 hours, but overnight would have been better I think.


It was super delicious, sooooo easy to make, and I got to try out the "made in Texas" Blue Bell Ice Cream.  They have some amazing flavours including...RED VELVET CAKE!!! WHAT?!?!  Unfortunately it wasn't my birthday so I had to stick with Justin's favourite, Cookies and Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment